Sri Lanka Brodcasting Corporation

Thu10192017

Last updateWed, 18 Oct 2017 8pm

About SLBC

History of the Organization in Brief

The history of the Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation dates back to year 1925, when its first pre-cursor, “Colombo Radio”, was launched on 16th December 1925 using a Medium Wave radio transmitter of one kilowatt of output power from Welikada, Colombo. Commenced just 03 years after the launch of BBC, Colombo radio was the first ever radio station in Asia.

This new medium of mass communication not only became increasingly popular in the years that followed, but also quickly evolved into a medium of national character, which led to the “Radio Service” being organized as a separate department of the government of Ceylon (as country was then called) by the ‘call sign’ ‘Radio Ceylon’ in 1949. Subsequently in 1967, the Department of Broadcasting was transformed into its present statutory form of a state corporation by the Ceylon broadcasting corporation Act. No 37 of 1966 of the parliament of Ceylon, thereby assuring increased autonomy and flexibility in the operations of the new organization.

The organization acquired its present name, Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation, with the transition of the state into the status of “Republic of Sri Lanka” on 22nd May 1972. SLBC has since continued in the same legal status as a state corporation, and is currently listed under the scope of the ministry of Information and Media of the Government of Sri Lanka.

Vision:

Fulfilling the pioneering Public Service Broadcasting obligations in the Sri Lankan media field.

Mission:

Carrying out radio broadcasting in such a manner as to improve the quality of life of the listeners by way of developing their skills, knowledge and attitudes relating to various fields such as economic, social, cultural, ethical, educational and entertainment.

Objectives:

1. Continuing to function as the broadcaster maintaining the highest listenership for Sinhala, Tamil and English radio channels.

2. Continuing to function as the premier broadcaster that provides reliable, balanced, information promptly in attractive formats.

3. Producing and presenting high quality, creative programmes for the advancement of indigenous culture.

4. Providing essential training to develop a self motivated workforce with ample skills, knowledge and attitudes.

5. Updating our production and transmission technology appropriately to provide a clear, strong broadcast output to local and overseas listeners.

6. Functioning as the pioneering institution to foster a meaningful broadcast media culture conforming to a Code of Ethics.

7. Contributing creatively as the national radio network to inform the public about the implementation of State policies and development programmes.

8. Maintaining optimum financial management as well as human resource management.

9. Winning the competitive market strategically.

 

Transition of Domestic Broadcasting from Medium Wave to FM

As was the case with many national radio stations with the same standing several decades ago, SLBC was relying on medium wave as the primary mode of domestic broadcasting until the dawn of ‘90s. Some sporadic FM broadcasts had nevertheless been already introduced at several transmitting stations more as a means of ‘relaying’ the broadcasts to medium wave transmitting stations. However, by late ‘80s SLBC was acting in recognition of the strategic importance of switching from MW to FM as the primary mode of domestic broadcasting. Accordingly, in 1993, ‘the FM Stereo Broadcasting Facility at Colombo’ was commissioned with the technical assistance of the government of Japan.

This was followed by the ‘Islandwide FM Development Project’ that was launched in year 1995. The objectives of the project were to develop an Islandwide multi-channel FM stereo broadcast transmission network and to divest the costly domestic medium wave transmitting stations, which were typically broadcasting only one or two programme channels per transmitting station. By 1999, more than 95% country’s total population was being covered by SLBC’s FM transmissions with nearly 90% of them receiving all six nationwide channels.

Programme Channels (Radio Services) currently maintained by SLBC

SLBC has, throughout its history, been committed to its mandated task of maintaining the public service broadcasting in Sri Lanka, by way of providing the public with the information and entertainment, and fostering the social, cultural and economic development of the country, and has maintained this commitment as the core guiding principle of its programming policy. Despite the introduction of a certain amount of commercial programming into its operations, in order to partially finance its predominantly public service broadcasting operations, the respective station genres and the programming content are carefully designed to be within its programming policy guidelines.

At present, SLBC’s Islandwide (domestic) FM network broadcasts six regular programme channels on a nationwide basis, and those six ‘national’ channels account for the major proportion of its domestic broadcasting. The six channels are,

  1. Sinhala Swadeshiya Sevaya’ (Sinhala National Service)
  2. Tamil National Service
  3. English Service
  4. City FM (Sinhala)
  5. Velenda Sevaya’ (Sinhala Commercial Service), and
  6. Thendral (Tamil Commercial Service)


While the first 03 channels are dedicated for public service broadcasting in the three languages Sinhala, Tamil and English, the fourth one (City FM) is maintained as a channel dedicated for the youth. The last two channels, whilst representing ‘an adult contemporary’ genre, accommodates a certain amount of commercial content. Besides the above six channels operated on a regular basis, SLBC also operates on nationwide basis a seventh channel, namely the ‘Sports Service’, which is a channel dedicated for sports, but only during the times of major sports events such as international cricket matches.

The other component of domestic broadcasting comprises of 04 Regional Services, each of which are originating from respective regional studio centers, and 05 community radio services, operated in five specific areas with substantial socio economic homogeneity. All of these regional and community radio services maintained by the SLBC largely represent a public service broadcasting format with regional community focus.

In addition to the above domestic services, SLBC is also operating a host of overseas services, transmitting in shortwave to the South & South-West Asia and the Middle East, in Sinhala, English, Hindi and several Indian sub-continental languages. Also, there is a medium wave transmitting facility for broadcasting mainly to the Southern regions of India.

Significant events in Sri Lanka Broadcasting in Sri Lanka

Invention of Radio is a result of a collectiveeffort. Researches on radio were common in many countries with the invention of “Hertz “by the German scientistHeinrik Hertz. Googli Elmo Marconi, Italian,Oliver Lodge, British, Edward Branly, French, A.S Popof,Russian, and GusefRigi, Italian, have done innovations. In 1902, WeldimarPawulson, Danish discovered permanent method of sending waves. R.A.Pendason, An American, who worked with the University of Petersburg, succeeded to send a human voice to a distance of one mile .World’s fist Marconi broadcasting center was foundered atChelmsford in 1919. A world famous songstress madam Nelly Melba sang a song atChelmsford. This was heard by most countries. The first official radio programme was broadcast from “Rittle,” a little distance place to Chelmsford in 14January 1920.After two years and a few months later ,The British governed Sri Lanka received the status of starting fist ever radio service in South Asia.

1921.07.21

Mr. Edward Harper, pioneer of broadcasting in Sri Lanka, arrived in to Ceylon to assume duties as the Chief Engineer of Telegraphs. He was qualified in M.I.E.E.in radio Engineering. He took initiatives to form “Ceylon Armature Radio Society”. The fist experimental broadcast was inaugurated on 27June 1924and official broadcast was done on 16th December 1926, pioneered by Mr. Harper. He joined the second anniversary of the broadcasting on 16 December 1927 until his tenure of service in Ceylon on 15th September 1931.

1921-1924
Chief Engineer of Ceylon, Mr. Edward Harper started to buy transmitters required for broadcasting. Some equipments found from a German Submarine wrecked during the II world War. A ½ Kw transmitter set was installed at the Central Telegraph office in Pettahusing some parts of radio apparatus by way of transmitting radio messages from sea shore. A studio, amplifier and a transmitter were all housed in one small room in the Central Telegraph office Buildinglater. He worked in conjunction with Assistant Engineer John Penman,Regional EngineersMessrs. George Harry Schofield, John Shilltoe ,Herald Samuel Braynt, Alfred Thomas Kingston, and local Engineers ,Messrs. A.Nadarasa , W.E De. Silva and BenetWijethilaka.


1922.11.24

Ceylon Amateur Radio Society was formed. It became to known as the Radio Club of Ceylon and South India in 1928.This club played a prominent role in the development of radio broadcasting in the country. The office –bearers of this society were, the then Director Education Hon. President .L McRae, Messrs, M.S Rockwood, J.H Joliffe,C.A Huston, A.E .Holsinger, M.M.P.Gunawardne,R,FDias,J.SDinwid .As a respect for their motivation , British Governor appointed a special committee to report on the introduction of Radio broadcasting and the related issues under the Chairperson of Mr. M.S Shrestra,the Post Master General of Ceylon. The other members were Mr. Edward Harper and the Chairperson of the Ceylon Amateur Wireless Society. This society arranged to circulate the daily programme as a supplementary to News bulletin was later known as the Radio Magazine. Moreover, they initiated a programme fund with the objects of enabling the authorities to provide improved programmes.The funds of the Amateur society used to get the service of special artistes, orchestras those who visit the island and travel across the country. The government did not incur any expense in this regard .In year 1930, the Radio Club of Ceylon organized an exhibition to popularize radio among enthusiastic groups.

1924.06.24
First radio broadcasting Advisory Board was appointed under the Chairmanship of Mr. Shrestra, the Post Master General. The other members wereChairman of the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce, Mr. .Fenton and the Deputy of the Inspector –General of Police.

1924.06.27
Experiment broadcasting started under permission of the then Governor of Ceylon.

The Annual General Meeting of the Engineering Association of Ceylonwas held at Maradana Technical College on the same day. The Annual General Session was addressed by the Governor, Sir William Henry Manning in the evening at 2.30 .Mr. Edward Harper made it a point to inaugurate broadcasting by transmitting the Governor’s speech. The speech made by the Governor was reported to be heard clear and good receptive quality.

1925.12.16
This day marked the inauguration of radio broadcasting in Sri Lanka .Sir Hugh Clifford the Governor addressed masses from his office premises in Pettah opening new broadcasting transmitting station. Only a limited broadcasting areas were covered due to apparatus used in 1924.Therefore, Rs 9,000 was voted in the estimates for 1924/1925for the purchase of new radio equipment. Mr. Harper who was on leave in the United Kingdom personally supervised the purchase of such equipment and had it shipped to Ceylon.

1926.08.08
The first religious programme was broadcast from Christ Church in Galle Face.


1926.10.09
The first Tamil stage drama programme, “Expel of Prince Rama” organized by “VidyaVinodaSabhava” wasbroadcast.

1926.10.14

The first Buddhist programme wasbroadcast. The speech made by Rev.Mahindathero, from “Maithree hall in Bambalapitiyawas broadcast in the same day evening.

1926.11.03

The first oriental musical programme wasbroadcast.

1926.11.05
The first children’s progaramme“Daruwantakarunawen”was broadcast.
1926.11.12
A Hindustani Musical Programme on a H.M.V disc was broadcast for the first time.

1926.11.27

The first Sinhala radio drama ‘Anthony and Cleopatra’ was broadcast.

1927.03.29
The first Sinhala lecture on“Sinhalese names and Surnames” (Sinhala namsahawasagam) delivered by Muddlieur , W.F .Gunawardhana was broadcast.

1927.05.16
The first bilingual speech in English and Sinhala on “the importance Vesak Day “made by Sir D.B Jayathilaka was broadcast.

1927.06.11
The first Muslim Programme on “Hajj pilgrimage and its meaning” delivered by Mr. M.T. Akbar was broadcast.

1927.08.12
The first Sports Programme“Ridding Boy” held at Colombo Race Course, on behalf of the State Trophy was broadcast at 7.00 in the evening.

1927.08.15
The first Sport commentary on a Rugby Match series represented by both local and foreign players was broadcast.

1927.12.24
The first Christmas Programm was broadcast from St.Michels’ Church.

1928 January
The broadcasting Studio at the Central Telegraph Office in Pettah was shifted to Torrington.

1928.03.08
Educational programmes were broadcast.

1931 March
The School Broadcasting Service was commenced.

1940.10.28
“Vaithiaanandan” Broadcasting Committee was appointed.

1942 September
The Colombo Radio was shifted to “Bower House” in Cotta Road,Borellafrom Torringtonduring the World War II,occupied by the British Services for their requirements.


1949.10.05
Ceylon Broadcasting Service was brought under Government Department and Radio Ceylon was set up in new Torrington Square premises.
1950
All Asia English Service was inaugurated.

1950 .09.30
Ceylon Service known as Commercial Service was inaugurated, pioneered by Clifford R. Dodd, an Australian.

1951 .03.12

South –East Asia Service under Commercial Radio was inaugurated

1951.03.30
All Asia Hindi Service was inaugurated.

1951.04.01
Tamil Service was inaugurated.
1951.04.09
Sinhala Commercial Service was inaugurated.

1953.04.04

Appointment of the “N.E Weeraooriya Committee” on Broadcasting.

1953.04.08
Radio Ceylon introduced a simultaneous transmission of three Services in Sinhala,Tamil and English.

1956
Diyagama Medium Wave Transmitting Station was commissioned.
1956.07.02
The Audience Research Division was established.
1969.08.15
The “Muslim Service” was separated from the Tamil Division and set up as an independent Division.
1963.04.04
Inauguration of the Evening Service”SandyaSevaya”.

1963.09.02
Commencement of European Service.
1964.03.04
“Muwanpellassa” radio play was broadcast for the first time .This play was written by Mr.Mudalinayake Somarathne and the Producer was Mrs. Nanda Jayamanne.
1965
Number of Radio licenses increased up to 4 Lakhs.
1965 March
Installation of the Medium Wave (M.W) transmitting Station at Anuradhapura.

1965.07.31
His Excellency the Governor General appointed the Hulgalle Commission of Inquiry on Radio Broadcasting in Ceylon. The Report of the Commission was released on the 05.April 1965.

1967.01.05
Radio Ceylon functioned under broadcasting department became a public Corporation and known as “Ceylon Broadcasting Corporation”. Mr. Neville. D. Jayaweera was the first Chairman /DG of the newly set up Corporation.

1968 January
Establishment of the Training Institute.

1969
Radio dramas on social understanding were broadcast instead of broadcasting dramas merely on entertainment. Mr.AsokaKolambage had written “Grahatharuwa” base on that concept.

1969.
Short story based voice plays produced on dramatic format by that extent, were presented by a single person as a short story programme.
1969
The opera called “the mother” by PremasiriKemadasa was broadcast.

1969 April

The Rural Service broadcast over Sinhala Service as a linkService started its broadcasting separately. Transmission started at 6.15 in the evening.

1970
The “Mahawa” Medium Wave (M.W) Broadcasting Station came into operation.
1970
The ‘Weerakwtiya” Medium Wave (M.W) Broadcasting Station came into operation.

1972 January
The Transmitting Station at Hapugala, Galle transformed into10 K.W.

1972.02.01
The National Service and the Commercial Service came to be known as the Channel I and the Channel IIagain.

1972.05.22
The Ceylon Broadcasting Corporation was known as “Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation’ after Ceylon received the status of Republican.

1977.08.05
Appointment of the T.B Ekanayake Committee on Broadcasting.

1978.04.29
The Report of T.B Ekanayaka Committee on Broadcasting was released.
1978 August

The Ceylon Radio Times English Journal was re launched as“The Broadcaster”

1978 August
The “Tran world Radio Service” came into operation.

1978.07.17
An in-house Medical Centre was set up for the welfare of employees.
1978.08.05
Puttlam Transmitter was opened.
1978.08.05
The Sports Service was inaugurated as the third Service and later linked with the Sinhala National Service.

1978.11.02
Middle –East Service was inaugurated.
1978.11.02
The East American Service was inaugurated.
1979.04.12
The first Regional Broadcasting Service in Sri Lanka was inaugurated as “Rajarata Service” in Anuradhapura.
1979.10.01
The “Thun path Rata”, a feature programme based on typical rural village life of Sri Lankans and their values over the National Service was broadcast .This programme was discontinued from the 27.October 1982.
1980.02.03
The second Regional Service ”Rhunu Service” opened in Nupe, Matara.

1981.01.20
The Sinhala Service re establishment Committee was appointed, headed by the board member Rev.HettimulleWajirabuddhi Thera and the Report was released on 31.12.1981.

1981
The Minister of the State, Dr. AnanadaTissa De Alwis, declaired“1981” as the year of Broadcasting.
1981
A bank for lyrics was established.

1981
A distinct sub-committee was appointed to select tapes and as per advice of the Committee tapes in good condition were selected and damaged tapes were discarded.
1981
The English Service produced a special programme called “The Resplendent Island” marking the Independence Day on the February 04 and circulated them among the Sri Lankan Missions in abroad. These programmes were broadcast on the same day through foreign media.

1981
A Board of Audience was implemented headed by the Audience Research Division to get daily feedback on radio programmes.Two thousand applications were selected from the bulk and only sinhalaprogrammes have been entitled for that questioner.

1981
Test Transmission of a new FM Stereo Service (Studio STX) commenced.
1981
Four Transmitting Stations were commissionedrespectively,
Ambewela- four 20Kw Transmitters
Kanthale –two 20 Kw Transmitters
Rathnapura- two 10 Kw Transmitters
Mahiyangana-one 01 Kw transmitter

1981.10.01
The First Community Radio in Sri Lanka wasinaugurated as “Mahaweli Community Radio by way of optimizing the social and economic status of the new residents, registered under Mahaweli Project. This project was funded by the UNESCO and Denmark Government.

1982.07.17
Opening of Mahiyangana Medium wave (M.W) Transmission.
1982.09.17
Opening of RathnapuraMedium wave (M.W) Transmission.
1983.04.13
Inauguration of the third Regional Station, MahanuwaraSewayain Kandy.
1983.04.16
Opening of Ambewela Medium Wave (M.W) Transmission.
1983.09.01
The morning transmission of Channel I was temporarily shut down due to heavy fuel cost.
1983.09.10
Re continuation of morning transmission of Channel I.
1983.09.17
Commissioning of the Rathnapura Medium Wave (M.W) Transmitting Station.
1984.02.01
The Channel I and II were knownas National Service and Commercial respectively.
1984 December
The Tamil National Service and Tamil Commercial Service were link.

1985.07.18
Implementation of Committee to improve the quality of Sihalaprogrammes and its report was released on in November 1985.

1985.10.03
“Sugandhika” historical radio play, based on “Polonnaruwa era in Mahawansa” was broadcast. The last episode was broadcast on the 18October 1988.
1986 March
A separate Music Division was set up.
1986
The English National Service and the English Commercial Service were linked.

1986
Sinhala and Tamil musical programmes broadcast in Mono technology transformed into Stereo technology.
1986
Installation of 125 m high tower with 6 V.H.F antennas in the Medium Wave Transmitting Station in Diyagama.

1986
New transistor consoles were introduced instead of the 35 years old Marconi equipment set.

1986
Establishment of Foreign Relations and Current Affairs News authority.

1986
Jaffna studio complex was abandoned due to terrorist attacks in Northern Peninsula.
1986.04.11
The second Community Radio Station in “Girandurukotte “was inaugurated by His Excellency the President J.R Jayawardhena. This station was set up in Mahiyanganaya and programmes were broadcast one hourfrom 7.00-8.00 in week days evening over Medium Wave,I K.W Transmitter.

1987
The Sports Division was commissioned under News Division.
1987 May
Programmes of Education Service broadcast from 2.30-4.00 in the evening and repeat broadcast took place from 6.00-8.35 p.m. on the same day.

1987
The fourth Regional Radio Station inaugurated in Jaffna as “Yapapatuna Service”
1987
The Mahaweli Community Radio was shifted from the PeradeniyaUniversity’s Bikku Hostel to Agriculture Research Institute in Mahaillukpallama.

1987.07.29
The “Ruhunu Service and its equipments, machines and two vehicles were totally destructed and set fire by a mob. The studio complex was refurbished and recommenced its operations on 12.12. 1993.

1987.10.01
The third Community Radio Station inaugurated as “Mahailluk pallama Community Radio”.


1988
Issuing of Radio Licenses was authorized to SLBC on a Parliament approval according to the amendment of Broadcasting Act.

1988.01.19
Establishment of Ministry of Information.The Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation came under the roof of new Ministry separating Ministry of State.

1988.02.24
The Studio 5 of the SLBC named on behalf of the D.M .Kolambage.
1989
A Medium Wave Project with the capacity of 300 K.W donated by Japanese Government was commissioned in Ekala.
1989 April
The Religious programme“ TheruwanNamadimu “was commenced .
1989.06.11
The programme “Sara Sangrahaya”was broadcast over the National Service.
1989.11.03
The first F.M Radio was inaugurated by the SLBC as City FM utilizing KHz.

1990
The Colombo International Radio was inaugurated as an oversea Channel.

1990
Radio License Division was established.

1991
“AradhitahaAmuttha” programme was started.
1991
A new Cassette “Sunil Gee” was released.

1991
Premier Song compact disc was released.

1991
The Rural Service was inaugurated in order to educate rural community on development information.
1991.01.05
The “Yapapatuna Service “wasknown as“Palali Service”.

1991.02.27
The fourth Community Radio “Kothmale Community Radio”was inaugurated with the donations of South Korean Government.

1992.06.10
The first live satellite broadcast on Hajji Pilgrimage from Mecca.


1993
The “ Subharathi “ programme based on current information broadcast over New Education Service was continued over Sinhala National Service.

1993.02.04
The “Vanni Service” was inaugurated.

1993.
New Multi Studio Complex with stereo technology donated by Japanese Government was inaugurated. This Multi functional complex was inclusive of Continuity complex, Controlling Studio and a Recording Studio.

1993.08.26
A new outside broadcasting vehicle was also donated by Japanese Government along with the New Studio Complex.

1993.08.26
Radio Magazine released by the name of “Sravyavahini”.

1994
FM System of the “Deniyaya”Transmission was upgraded.

1994
Royalty was introduced for Lyricist, Musician and Vocalist for broadcasting their songs.
1994
The News in Brief rebroadcast.

1994.06.22
The “New Education Service” was revamped as a separate transmission and functioned as “GuwanThaksalawa”.

1994.12.16
The Radio Magazine was released as “Easidisi” Magazine.

1994.12.16
The “Listners’Feedback” Awards Ceremony was held.

1995.01.01
FM technology came in to effect for all channels of the SLBC covering all islands.

1995 February
The Multi Complex Studio donated by Japanese Government named as “AnandaSamarakoon Multi Study”.

1995.10.21
The Air Time of Sri Lanka FM Service was overstretched up to 24 hours.

1995.12.16
The “VishwaSravani” Channel was inaugurated.

1995.12.19
The SLBC held its premier Presidential Awards Ceremony and awards distributed for listeners, best production and advertising agency.

1995
Nine programmes were broadcast on International Tamil Research symposium held in India. A few programmes were produced on the theme of Devolution of Power.

1996.01.09
The Tamil Commercial Service commissioned separately.

1996.11.01
The “Sri Lanka FM Service” was linked with “Sinhala Commercial Service and functioned as City FM.

1996.11.15
The Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation inaugurated “Lakhanda Radio” and later merged with Independent Television in Batharamulla.


1996
“Muwanpelessa” radio play was discontinued.

1997.
The local transmissions of all SLBC Medium Wave channels were totally discontinued.

1997.01.02
The “Palali/Yapapatuna Service was renamed as “Jaffna Service”


1997.01.06
The “Vshwasravani”channel was linked with Sinhala National Service.

1997.01.24
The first “Sport Channel was inaugurated gathering all sports commentaries in different services.

1997.02.17
The SLBC rebroadcast programmes combining with BBC. “BBC Sandeshaya” was broadcast from 9.15-9.45 at night over Sinhala National Service. The English Service broadcast BBC programmes from 3.00 in the evening.

1997.04.01
“Lakhanda cannel” was separated from the SLBC and amalgamated with the Independence Television Network.

1997.07.17
The first phase of the New FM Transmitting Station in Karagahathenna was commissioned.
1997.08.16Tamil programmes were broadcast combining with BBC.

1997.08.23
The Wavniya Transmission was commissioned.

1997
Repeating Broadcasting Stations were established in Hunnasgiriya, Yatiyantota and Haputale.
1998.
The Microwave Projects were commenced.
1998.
The “Kanthale Medium Wave Transmitting Station” was shutdown.

1998.04.12
The fifth Community Radio was inaugurated as “PulathisiRavaya Community Radio.

1999
The programme called “RanabimenNivahanatasahaNivahanenRanabimata” (from battle-field to home vice versa) was commenced linking correspondence between warriors and their families.

1999.04.30
The Kothmale Community Radio “was equipped with Internet facilities .The UNESCO took the lead in this venture, was praised by both local and international community. The Training programmes on Internet were introduced with parallel to this project.

1999.05.14
Middle East Service was relaunched. Sri Lankan listeners were able to listen this channel from 10.15-11.15 for the first time.

2000.02.14
Radio and Television licenses were canceled.

2000.03.20
The “ Visira Channel was inaugurated. Frequencies of the Sports Channel were utilized for this channel.

2001.02.20
An Awarding Ceremony was organized by the SLBC to felicitate retired and veteran Journalists on behalf of the 75th Anniversary at the BMICH.

2001.03.22
The Commercial Service was renamed as “Pavana Radio”.

2001.04.05.
The Lakhanda Channel was shifted from the SLBC to Independence Television Network Services premises.

2001.04.05
Air time of “Isira Service” was over stretched from 6.00-9.00 in the morning and “Sports Service” from 5.00-9.15 in the evening.

2001.04.04
Tamil Commercial Service was renamed as “Thendral”


2001.08.15
The South East Asia Service was discontinued.

2001.09.02
The “Studio 01” of the SLBCC was named as “ Dr.Amaradeva Studio”.
2001.10.25
“Surathal Nangiye” Cassette was released on behalf of the Children.

2002.01.01
The Transmission of “Wanampadi Service” was discontinued.

2002.02.01
The programmes of the Sports Service was linked with the “Pavana Radio”

2002.03.20
The Vanni Service was discontinued”.

2002.06.03
“The Studio 05 of the SLBC was named as “KarunarathneAbesekera “Studio.

2002.07.01
The names of Regional Services“Rajarata, Ruhuna and Kandurata”were changed as “ RajarataFM,Ruhuna FM and Kandurata FM respectively.

2002 September
The Transmitting Stations in “Yatiyantota, Karagahathenna and Haputhale were converted into FM Transmitting Stations to broadcast ptrogrammes.

2002.10.15
Calling “Pavana Radio “as Radio Sri Lanka was ended. Later it was known as “Public Radio” and then to “Peoples Radio. It was known as Info@Radio until 31July 2003.Then its frequency has changed as 87.6/91.2 with the tag “to all of us from Colombo”. Call

2003.03.02
The sixth Community Radio was inaugurated as the “Uva Community Radio”.

2003.07.27
The News Division was upgraded under new network Technology and launched a “News Guide” in parallel to this event.
2003.10.01
The City FM Channel was re launched (This has been known as Info@Radio until 31.July 2003.Then its frequency has changed as 87.6/91.2 with the tag “to all of us from Colombo”.)
2004.01.15
The Commercial Service was re launched.
2004.01.16
The first cassette on Hajji Pilgrimage was released.

2004.03.18
The morning news bulletin of the City FM channel was commenced at 7.00 a.m in the morning.

2004.03.26
The Jaffna Service was resumed.

2004.07.01
Four hours were allocated for BBC programmesbroadcast over English Service.
2004.09.17
The “City FM” and “Threndrel Service” were connected to Internet for the first time.
2005.01.06
The Tamil Commercial Service was re launched.

2005.03.11.
The R.N.N Service was inaugurated.

2005.05.09
The Sports Channel was re launched.

2005.06.06
The European Service was disconnected.

2005.10.4
The All Asia Hindi Service was re launched over R.N.N Service.

2005.12.03
The All Asia Hindi Service was temporally disconnected.

2005.12.16
The Sinhala National Service was connected with Internet.
2005.12.16
The SLBC and the National Achieves came into an agreement to achieve selected cassettes and tapes of the SLBC at the Department of National Archive.

2005.12 16
The “Recording Studio 10” of the SLBC was named as “SunilSantha Studio”.

2006.03.27

The R.N.N Service was disconnected.

2006.03.28
The “Vidula Childrens’ Channel” was inaugurated.

2006.04.30
An E-tuk-tuk Studio was commenced at Kothmale Community Radio Station.

2006.07.01
Programmes of the Sinhala National Service were commenced at 4.45 in the morning

2006.07.11
The main News Bulletin of the City FM Service commenced at 6.00 o’clock in the
Morning.

2006.12.09
A Language Laboratory was set up at the “Kothmale Community Radio”.

2006.12.16
The Recording Studio Complex 7, 8, 9 were named as D.M Kolambage Studio Complex.

2006.12.18
“Muwanpelassa” radio play was rebroadcast over Commercial Service.

2007.01.05
The Radio Museum was reestablished close by the old Control room.

2007.01.05
The Radio Language Laboratory and the Disaster Communication Studio were commissioned.

2007.01.05
The Radio Magazine re launched as “Tharanga”.

2007.11.11
The “PireiFM”Service was reestablished at a new building Complex in Akkareipattu Radio Station.

2007.11.12
The “Girandurukotte” Community Radio was re-transmitted.
2008.01.01
The programmes of the Sinhala National Service were started at 4.30 a.m in the morning.

2008.03.11
The receptive condition of the Sinhala Commercial Service was improved empowering its Colombo frequency 93.3 from 300 KW to 1500 KW.

2008.04.01
Buddhist Talks were broadcast from 8.00-9.00 in the morning andfrom 8.00-9.00 in the afternoon daily.This programme was scheduled to broadcast on Wednesdays and Sundays before.

2008.06.04
The air time of the “VidulaChildrens’Channel “was adjusted .Children’s programmes were broadcast from 6.00-8.00a.m, 2.00-6.00 p.m on Wednesdays and from 6.00am-10.00 am and 2.pm-6.00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

2008.07.01
The Colombo International Radio was disconnected.

2008.09.01
The “VidulaChildrens’ Channel was combined with the Sinhala National Service. All prorammes of “Vidula” were broadcast from 3.00-6.00 p.m in the afternoon.Theprogrammes of the National Service were broadcast over “VidulaFreequency”.

2008.09.07
The air time of “VidulaChildrens’ Channel which was linked with Sinhala National Service was adjusted accordingly .Programmes were broadcast from 6.00-10.00 in the morning and 2.00-6.00 in the afternoon on weekdays and 6.00-10.00 am -2.00-6.00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

2008.10.09
The“Evening Service” (SandyaSevaya) was re launched as “Govi gedarin mahagedarata”.
2008.10.22
All India Service alias Colombo International Radio was inaugurated.

2008.11.01
The air time of” Ruhunu Service” was amended and the programmes were started at 5.30.


2009.01.01
The radio magazine “Tharanga” was re launched as “Handa”. (Voice).

2009.01.30
The Grand Finale of “Bolly wood Star” Hindi Musical programme was held and the semi finalists of the Hindi song performing contest were participated for the grand finale.

2009.02.30
The “WayambaHanada” Service was inaugurated.

2009.06.01
The transmissions of “Sinhala National Service, Sinhala Commercial Service and City FM were started at 4.55 am in the morning.

2009.07.29
The Digital Archiving Unit was established. Songs and voices in old tapes and discs were achieved under Digital Technology.

2009.08.15
The Deniyaya Transmitting Station was powered up to 5 KW.
2009.08.17
The air time of “Rajarata and Ruhuna Regional Services” were changed as 5.30-7.30.
2009.08.27
All Asia Hindi Service known as Colombo International Radio was disconnected.
2009.10.01
The City FM, Thendrel and English Services were broadcast over Internet.
2009.10.01
City FM Service was automated.

2009.10.01
The Irattaperiyakulam studio was shut down.

2009.10.01
The “Pulathisirawaya” Community Radio was re launched.

2009.12.12
The air time of Ruhuna Regional Service was extended until 8.00 pm.

2010 .01.06
The “Palali Transmitting Station was commissioned and all the Tamil Service of SLBC was transmitted from this point.

2010
The “Dambana Radio” was inaugurated and transmitted over the Frequencies of the“Girandurukotte Community Radio”.

2010
All Asia Hindi Service was re inaugurated. The Korean Service was transmitted over this Service utilizing the air time from 4.00-5.00 pm.

2010.0414
Sinhala and Hindu New Year programmes were broadcast from Poonarin.

2010.04.15
BBC “Sandeshaya” was re broadcast over Sinhala National Service and the Tamil Services.

2011.03.11
“Sayura Radio” was broadcast over City FM from 12.00 midnight to 4.00 am .This transmission was disconnected from 01 March 2015.

2011.07.04
A special Buddhist programme was broadcast over National Service in view of “ SambuddaJayanthiya”.Buddhist talks of late chief incumbents were broadcast from 5.00 -5,45 am .

2011.07.04
The Programmes of Sinhala National Service were broadcast from 4.30 am.
2011.12.16

The SLBC initiated a special news service for the first time with Mobitel Lanka activating SLBC news over mobile phones.

2012.02.04
The Programmes of City FM were broadcast in Sinhala, English and Tamil repeatedly.

2012.03.15
The Time Radio was inaugurated. Current sports news of local and international grounds, art news and songs were broadcast over this channel.

2012.07.19
A 24 hour internet radio service was activated by the Muslim Service for the first time.
2013.06.19
The “Three wheel Star” programme was initiated over City FM Channel.
2013.03.27
BBC “Sandeshaya” was re discontinued.

2014.01.03
“Rajarata” holiday resort was re opened.

2014.0131
The Awards Distributing Ceremony for the winners of the “Three wheel Star” programme and the releasing of the “Three wheel Star CD” conducted by the City FM Service.

2014.03.11
The “Time Radio” was discontinued.

2014.03.12

The morning transmission of the “Vidula Children’s Channel was discontinued.

2014.05.05
The foundation stone of the new SLBC building was laid at the auspicious time of 9.58 in the corporation premises close by the BauddalokaMawatha.

2014.07.21
The Air time of Hindi Service was reduced from 01 hour.

2014.12.01
“Lama pitiya “children’s programme was resumed.

2015.02.13
The Royalty for songs broadcast over SLBC was resumed.

2015.05.09
The SLBC website was launched with a new lease of life.

2015.07.08
The Election FM Service was launched over 107.3/107.5 frequency from 5.00 am -12 midnights.

2016.01.06

His Excellency the President MaithripalaSirisena participated for “Subharathi“ Programme as the first ever President to participate for a live programme over the National Service .